Let’s Travel Sustainably, Together.
What Does it Mean
To Be A Sustainable Tourism Company?
At Costa Rica Trails, we believe that sustainability is a practice. It’s something we intentionally strive to do and act on, every day.
Below, this is how we choose to practice sustainable tourism.
It’s simple. We take care of our providers and partners. We strive to keep the supply chain as local as possible. Because we know if our community thrives, we all thrive.
And for you? This means your guests will always be well taken care of.
Supporting Local Businesses
We guide you and your guests towards locally owned businesses, restaurants and hotels. As a result, people in our local community gain training and meaningful employment.
Whenever possible, our travel experiences feature food, supplies and service providers that are 100% Costa Rican made and grown.
We also put a lot of our attention on making sure everyone is paid promptly. We don’t like to squeeze prices. We believe that if we treat our partners and providers well, they’ll ensure your guests are well taken care of.
We encourage you and your guests to explore more remote and indigenous communities and less heavily visited destinations for an authentic experience with a positive impact.
And each year, through monetary donations and volunteer hours, Panama Trails directly supports nonprofit organizations that work to increase the well-being of all Panamanians. Especially women & children. These include:
- The Code. We are co-signers of The Code of Conduct, which seeks to end the sexual exploitation of children in travel and tourism.
We are proud to have put in place our own environmental policies that protect our natural resources and minimize our impact in natural areas.
Our Environmental Policies.
- Minimizing waste by using products that are returnable, biodegradable or recyclable
- Ensuring efficient energy and water usage at our headquarters
- Prioritizing hotel partners who share our environmental values
- Serving food or supporting restaurants who source their fare from sustainable, local and organic sources
We Engage You
& Your Guests.
We support different conservation organizations and support activities and experiences led by local families and hosts, and we love to include these in our itineraries for you.
This means your guests can feel fully immersed in our local community, and have life-changing experiences with organizations and people doing incredible work.
Transformative Experiences that Engage Your Guests.
Here are just a few examples of experiences we love to include in your client’s itineraries:
- Visit a rural indigenous community and learn about their customs, traditions and cultural significance
- Spend a day with a small organic coffee producer and learn the full process of organic coffee production
- Visit a local school with a donation of supplies given by your guests, so that your guests can feel totally immersed in our local community.
Pack for a Purpose
We also support Pack for a Purpose. A nonprofit that positively impacts communities around the world by helping travelers bring meaningful contributions to the destinations they visit.
Items like pencils and crayons. Paper. Books. Soccer balls. These all make a difference in our communities.
We can provide you with a list of desired items that you can bring with you to Panama to donate.
Or even better, we can help you purchase the supplies you wish to donate from small, local markets in Panama.
If you’d like to get involved, please contact your Sales Consultant or chat with us.